issues with ATI Moblity Radeon HD 5830

Maróy Ákos akos at maroy.hu
Mon Feb 15 07:15:27 PST 2010

Michel,

> None of the above indicates (let alone explains)

interesting. when gdm is starting, I get a pretty minimal X window
listing the above error messages, along with the "(EE) RADEON(0):
Acceleration initialization failed" message, and then an OK button.
pressing the OK button brings me to a list of options, like trying to
start X in a 'failsafe' mode, to dropping to the console. only dropping
to the console has any meaningful result.

after dropping to the console, simply executing startx fires up X fine.

> These issues sound like they might be due to running a non-KMS-capable X
> driver on top of a KMS enabled kernel.

I see. the X driver I'm using comes from a package from here:
https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa?field.series_filter=lucid

is there a way of telling if the driver is KMS-capable?

> Providing at least the full Xorg.0.log(.old) file from a gdm crash might
> give us at least some of the missing information.

should I paste the whole log here?

Akos