white stripe on a wider terminal in dual screen mode

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 11:49:51 PST 2010

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 5:23 AM, Aljaž Prusnik <prusnik at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I posted this on IRC but will do here as well until I know whether I
> should file a bug or not.
>
> In terminal mode (with KMS) and dual screen (left monitor: 1920x1200,
> right monitor 1600x1200) I have a white stripe on the left monitor and
> it looks like if it's a compensation for the missing 320 pixels of the
> right monitor. The picture is here:
> http://www.tikataka.com/files/dualscreen_low.JPG
>
> Is this a known issue?

This is not a driver bug, it is a limitation of the kernel framebuffer
and console interfaces.  They don't have any concept of multi-head
cards.  In order to prevent any information printed to the console
from being lost, the console comes up as the largest size that will
fit on all attached monitors.  If you want a more flexible use the
monitors, you'll need to use the kms interface like the X driver does.

Alex