Flickering/depth problems on HD4350 and Ubuntu Maverick alpha's

Dr. David Alan Gilbert dave at treblig.org
Sun Aug 29 17:15:51 PDT 2010

Hi,
  I'm running an HD4350 (RV710) on an Intel i7, and I'm running the current
ubuntu maverick alpha series and I'm seeing what to me appears to
be a depth/layering problem.  This worked on the Ubuntu Lucid version
with the xorg-edgers set - I haven't tried Maverick with edgers or
lucid without yet.

The simplest example is on the game Assault Cube; it's a pretty
standard quake clone like thing with a 3d landscape which you wonder
around pointing the normal assortment of weapons.  However
on these newer versions I'm seeing the weapon and some of the menus
and stuff only be visible some of the time - so the weapon sometimes
flickers in and out of view and some of the landscape appears and
disapears as well.

I've also noticed on Google Earth that during startup I can see
what appears to be throught he planet and the back of it; this settles
down once I zoom in, but even then I see all of the overlay data
(roads, pointers to photos etc) flicker on and off to be replaced by
just the underlying satellite view.

How many other people are seeing this - is there any useful
diagnostics I can try?

It's using KMS; the only warning seems to be about Color tiling
not being support on R600/R700.

2d seems fine.

Dave
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert    |       Running GNU/Linux       | Happy  \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org |                               | In Hex /