evergreen acceleration support

Dave Witbrodt dawitbro at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 22 22:38:05 PDT 2010

On 08/20/2010 05:21 PM, Alex Deucher wrote:
> I've just pushed out the initial evergreen (radeon HD5xxx)
> acceleration support for EXA and Xv to the evergreen_accel branch of
> xf86-video-ati.  Full support for EXA and Xv is available.  To use it,
> you'll need 2.6.35 with kms enabled.  There are still some GPU hangs
> in some cases that we haven't sorted out yet.  Richard will be pushing
> out mesa support as soon as he finishes rebasing his tree against mesa
> master.  We'll be releasing updated register specs eventually, but as
> you can see, most of the registers and bit fields are the same as
> r6xx/r7xx.  Happy Hacking!
>
> Alex

Crashes for me when the boot scripts start 'xdm'.  Attached tarball has
'dmesg' output, copy of 'Xorg.0.log', and copy of 'xdm.log' (with same
backtrace as Xorg.0.log).

Should I put this on Bugzilla, or is evergreen-accel too new?

    Hardware:
Radeon HD 5750

    Software:
linux              2.6.35.2
[merged with drm-radeon-testing merged up to c9f9e91; have also reverted
5b1714d, and added patch to fix pink vert. line -- not sure if there are
git commits available yet]
libdrm             2.4.21
mesa               7.9-devel, git be99100
xorg-server        1.9.0
xf86-video-radeon  6.13.99, branch evergreen-accel (bdd41fec)

Note:  libdrm was built against a previous kernel; I can rebuild it
tomorrow if this is a likely cause of the crash.

Except for this handful of packages I rebuild myself, I am using Debian
unstable/experimental.  Many of the packages are provided with *-dbg
versions, but 'xdm' is not one of those.  Possibly I could attempt to
rebuild an unstripped version of 'xdm' myself; I certainly can install
debug versions of xorg-server and radeon, but will the backtrace alone
make use of the debugging symbols?  I'm not quite sure how I can use
'gdb' in a situation like this to get a better backtrace, but if there's
a way I'd be glad to try.

Thanks,
Dave W.