Radeon/PowerPC: No video output after update 6.12.1 -> 6.12.99; 6.12.192

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Thu Apr 29 00:39:54 PDT 2010

On Mit, 2010-04-28 at 19:35 +0200, Albrecht Dreß wrote:

> I noticed that in both modes the log says that
>
> (EE) RADEON(0): [dri] RADEONDRIGetVersion failed to open the DRM

We should definitely try to fix this and see what if any issues are left
then. Maybe the non-DRM big endian code paths have bitrotted.

> CONFIG_DRM=y
> CONFIG_DRM_KMS_HELPER=y
> CONFIG_DRM_TTM=y
> CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=y
> CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS=y

Beware that CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS=y requires also building the firmware
needed by the radeon driver into the kernel, otherwise the radeon driver
will time out trying to load the firmware before the root filesystem is
mounted and then only work with acceleration disabled.

What about CONFIG_AGP*?

> CONFIG_FB_RADEON=y

radeon KMS can't work with radeonfb. Does passing radeon.modeset=0 on
the kernel command line help for now?

In any case, please provide the output of

dmesg|grep -e drm -e agp -e radeon