Need help interpreting gtkglext error msg (radeon bug?)

Gary Pajer gary.pajer at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 09:39:08 PDT 2010

I've been trying to get help understanding/fixing an error message.  No luck
yet, so I'm wondering if this might possibly have something to do with my
radeon driver / Radeon Mobility 7500.  If the answer is "no" or "unlikely",
where do you think I should go for help?

I'm trying Kubuntu 10.04 beta2

Vpython (package python-visual) always fails with the message below, or one
very much like it. Others using 10.04 b2 don't have this problem, so I'm
suspicious of a hardware/driver issue involving my Radeon Mobility 7500
video.

Any ideas?  Ubuntu 10.04 is due for release at the end of this month (April
2010), so if something needs fixing it would be nice to fix it by then.

TIA,
gary

(<unknown>:3064): GdkGLExt-WARNING **: Cannot open \x98\xad.
L.so

(<unknown>:3064): GdkGLExt-WARNING **: Cannot open \x98\xad.
L.so

glibmm-ERROR **:
unhandled exception (type std::exception) in signal handler:
what: Unable to get extension function: glCreateProgramObjectARB even
though the extension is advertised.

aborting...
Aborted (core dumped)