HD5770 bringup

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 18:17:14 PDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Dave Witbrodt <dawitbro at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 04/10/2010 06:22 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Alex Deucher<alexdeucher at gmail.com>
>>  wrote:
>> <SNIP>
>>>
>>> you need 2.6.34.
>>
>> Now at 2.6.34-rc3
>
> Good.
>

>> Some headway. The radeon driver as well as drm_kms_helper and a number
>> of other things are loaded and associated with the radeon driver.
>> However early in the boot process - I think when the modeset happens
>> because my Intel i915 does this also - the screen goes black. On the
>> Intel the screen shifts to a smaller font. Here I'm just seeing a
>> blank screen so far. The monitor can't find the signal and then turns
>> off.
>
> When you boot, the BIOS is using an old VGA text mode.  The Linux kernel, at
> some point fairly early in the boot process, will now enable the new DRM
> framebuffer.  The screen should go black momentarily, but should come back
> quickly in a much higher resolution text mode as the kernel continues to
> boot.
>
> Can you mention what sort of cable connects your video card to your monitor?
>  Is it VGA?  DVI?  HDMI?  DisplayPort?

DVI to a Samsunc Syncmaster 2333

I found this in my email notes. I had exactly the same problem on my i915:

[QUOTE]

> CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
> # CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE is not set

drm_i915 needs this to display the console. so you have to set this to
yes or make shure the module is loaded or you get a blank screen at
bootup until x starts.
[QUOTE]

Indeed, this is the same problem. The screen goes black and the boot
finishes. The screen is still black. I shell in from another machine
and start gdm:

cruncher ~ # /etc/init.d/xdm start
 * Setting up gdm ...
                               [ ok ]
cruncher ~ #

and I now see the login screen displayed in beautiful 1920 x 1080. Pretty!!

So I added xdm to the default start level, rebooted and I get the gdm
login screen. I'm up and running. (Well, sort of. No mouse and
keyboard but that probably isn't anything serious. Says it cannot find
the evdev driver...)

OK - so I still don't have the settings correct to see the higher
resolution fonts, and I want to get that very much. However it's
really good progress!

Let me study my i915 setup a little more and see if I can find the
thing that turned the fonts on there.

- Mark