HD5770 bringup

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 14:04:13 PDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Dave Airlie <airlied at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 6:00 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>> OK, so I'm searching around for instructions on doing right this but
>> I'm not finding them yet. That's leaving me poking around and of
>> course that never goes well. I'll post some data and keep some records
>> in case others try this again later. I don't want to post here too
>> much and wear out my welcome but I really want to see a desktop today
>> if possible.
>
> Don't use radeonhd, use -ati or radeon (same thing)
>
> Also get a really recent kernel with evergreen support for KMS, the UMS
> support isn't great and will probbaby remain sub-par.
>
> Dave.

Dave,
   Thanks. I'll switch back to radeon.

   As for my kernel I'm on gentoo-sources-2.6.33-r1 which is the
newest available through portage. Are you suggesting I have to go
checkout something from kernel.org to make this work? I've got the
Radeon KMS stuff set as modular. Do I need to enable it at boot time?
On my i915 I do it like this in grub:

kernel (hd0,6)/boot/bzImage-2.6.33-gentoo root=/dev/sda2 i915.modeset=1

  Recompiling for radeon instead of radeonhd. Back in awhile.

Thanks,
Mark