[Mesa3d-dev] [HD3470/R600] graphics corruption, GPU lockup...

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 09:29:37 PDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 10:20 AM, Daniel J Blueman
<daniel.blueman at gmail.com> wrote:
> When running 2.6.32-rc1 with modesetting on a HD3470/R600 GPU [1] with
> updated userland [2], I experience a GPU lockup 2-3 seconds after
> starting glxgears under compiz. We also see intermittent rendering
> buffer corruption [3] when glxgears is started, and sometimes
> corruption with text compositing in eg gnome-terminal.
>
> When the GPU lockup occurs, we observe Xorg is waiting for the GPU
> operation to complete [4]; DRM debug reflects this [5]. Xorg.log
> [attached] isn't telling.
>
> The problem isn't reproducible booting with 'nomodeset', so sounds
> like the radeon KMS init path doesn't correctly/consistently
> initialise some registers. What tools would be useful to dump the
> state, perhaps so I can perform a like for like comparison?

There may be some buffer accounting issues with draw prims under kms.
Does disabling draw prims fix the issue?  To disable the draw prims
interface, revert this patch:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/commit/?id=eea30906de37ea3b2f8a594c2b33b643d3dde987