Huge fonts using KMS on X1600

Andrea andrea_iob at yahoo.it
Mon Sep 28 10:18:52 PDT 2009

Hi,
when I enable KMS all fonts become HUGE (I'm using KDE). With KMS disabled,
fonts have the correct size.

I have 2.6.31 kernel, current git master mesa, libdrm and xf86-video-ati
and X.Org X Server 1.6.3.

My video card is:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M56P [Radeon Mobility
X1600] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

        Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Device ff10

        Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]

        I/O ports at 2000 [size=256]

        Memory at cfef0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]

        [virtual] Expansion ROM at cfe00000 [disabled] [size=128K]

        Capabilities: <access denied>

        Kernel modules: radeon

I remeber that, with older versions of X Server, I had the same problem. It was
related to some EDID information given in cm and not in mm. Recent versions of X
Server introduced a quirk that solved the problem.

I attach Xorg.log with and without KMS.

NOTE: with KMS disabled and current git master mesa and libdrm the desktop is
unusable due to frequent system freezes (using mesa-7.5.1 and libdrm-2.4.12 all
works well). But that's another issue.

Thanks,

Andrea