rv630 + dri on = massive corruption

Jesús Guerrero i92guboj at terra.es
Wed Sep 9 20:52:40 PDT 2009

Hello,

The radeon driver doesn't seem to work for me at all, I hope
you can give me at least some guidance.

I used these instructions:
  http://wiki.x.org/wiki/radeonhd%3Aexperimental_3D

DRI seems to be the default, but when I enable it, I get this
result (same if I remove my xorg.conf):
  http://jesgue.homelinux.org/screenshots/Xorg.0.log_xorg.conf_DRI-ON.jpg

This is how it looks when I implicitly disable DRI in my xorg.conf:
  http://jesgue.homelinux.org/screenshots/Xorg.0.log_xorg.conf_DRI-ON.jpg

In all cases I used *exactly the same* xorg.conf file, only changing
the DRI line on/off. I can't use X unless I explicitly disable DRI
in my xorg.conf. However, it's just visual junk, I know that the wm
is working because I can use its keybindings to close X gracefully.

The X pointer works ok and I can move and see it without a problem,
however even the few parts of the windows that are visible are
completely dead, I can't interact with then in a visual way. It's
completely unusable, only garbage appears on the screen (except for
the mouse pointer, that is).

The card:
  01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV630 PRO AGP
[Radeon HD 2600 PRO AGP]

I attach three logs: without xorg.conf, with xorg.conf(dri on),
and with the same xorg.conf(but dri off). I also attach my
current xorg.conf file for radeon.

Thanks for reading and for any help you can provide. If you need
more info, please, just let me know.

--
Jesús Guerrero