Radeon r6xx with KMS not working

Mike Lothian mike at fireburn.co.uk
Tue Sep 8 15:34:06 PDT 2009

Hi

When using the new drm-next branch KMS fails (see attached logs) with
radeon.modeset=0 passed the computer will hard lockup when KDM is
starting (I think this is when the compositing is started)

Unfortunately I don't have any logs of the hard crash even a remote
ssh with tail -f /var/log/messages and Xorg.0.log doesn't show
anything before making the box unusable

My card is:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc RV730
PRO [Radeon HD 4650] [1002:9498]
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc R700 Audio Device
[Radeon HD 4000 Series] [1002:aa38]

This card works fine using a 2.6.30 kernel and the r6xx-r7xx-3d branch

All X components are at the latest git

Regards

Mike