Radeon mobility X300 with acceleration; right side of desktop, missing columns

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 01:28:19 PST 2009

Hello,

I think I am writing for advice in how to do a better job of this bug report.

In summary, I am getting odd behavior on the right hand side of my
dual monitor desktop, new since a karmic koala install.

On one occasion this involved a scrambled screen on the right side of
the external monitor; it always involves lost characters on emacs GTK
screens (graphic attached).  On the graphic you can see the left hand
emacs window showing the full text, and the right-hand window mainly
blank, being truncated at a set position on the screen.

I don't get this problem with the emacs-x11 (v22) build.   The same
GTK build of emacs works without problem on an nvidia setup on a
desktop elsewhere.

I have a Radeon X300 in a Thinkpad T43 laptop, running default
resolution on the LCD (left), VGA (right) of 1400x1050, 1920x1080
respectively.

Option "NoAccel" "on" resolves this problem but gives very slow
graphics performance.

Switching the LCD to be right of the VGA results in the problem
switching to the right side of the LCD.

lspci -v ->

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M22 [Mobility
Radeon X300]
       Subsystem: IBM Device 056e

I'm running a Karmic Koala fresh install.  I can't see any errors in
the xorg log.

Is there anything else I can do to debug the problem or make my report
clearer?

Thanks very much,

Matthew