radeon problems: VGA out + 3D

Barna Daniel daniel.barna at cern.ch
Wed Nov 4 22:26:30 PST 2009

Hello,

I have a Toshiba Satellite, with this video card (Xorg.0.log)

(--) PCI:*(0:1:5:0) 1002:4437:1179:ff10 ATI Technologies Inc Radeon
Mobility 7000 IGP rev 0, Mem @ 0xa0000000/134217728, 0xe0000000/65536, I/O
@ 0x0000c000/256, BIOS @ 0x????????/131072

and this xserver-xorg-video-radeon version (Ubuntu 9.10)

1:6.12.99+git20090929.7968e1fb-0ubuntu1

My system is Ubuntu 9.10 with KDE. I have two problems:

- I am using a CAD application, which is now running fine, except if I
change desktop, and then change back to the desktop where this CAD
application is running. Its 3D display is then somehow frozen: it does not
respond to any mouse etc events, it gets even black sometimes. I need to
restart the application.

- Under ubuntu 7.10 and the fglrx driver, although I could not use the
Fn+F5 keys to switch between the external VGA and own monitor, but
if I did it under Windows (having video output on both the monitor of the
notebook and the VGA output), then rebooting to ubuntu 7.10 worked fine.
Now, with xserver-xorg-video-radeon, I can not have any video output on
the notebook's monitor, and the video projector connected to the VGA
output is flickering: it changes with about a 1 s period between 3
states (2 different aspect ratios, and "no input" blank screen)
Interestingly, it started while Ubuntu-7.10+fglrx and
Ubuntu-9.10+xserver-xorg-video-radeon was coexisting on my system: during
this time this phenomenon appeared even when booting to ubuntu-7.10.
Under windows, the VGA output is still working perfectly, Fn+F5 keys work,
so I guess it is not a hardware issue.

Any help?

Thanks