drm.ko and mach64.ko cause kernel panic after drm release 2.4.1

Mitch mitch074 at gmail.com
Tue May 26 01:08:02 PDT 2009

Hello,

I'm subscribing to this ML to report a regression in a (admittedly very
old) DRM module: the mach64.ko module, when loaded with latest git
drm.ko module, causes kernel panics with kernels 2.6.24, 2.6.27, 2.6.28,
and 2.6.29 with Xorg servers 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6, when the server loads (it
MIGHT, in some cases, show the mouse cursor); dmesg doesn't show any
error when I insert the module manually.
 I think it must be a regression in drm.ko (since mach64 code has sat
untouched for quite a while now), for now the most recent working gitweb
snapshot I've tested as working (chosen arbitrarily, as I don't feel
like doing all bisects and I'm no C programmer anyway) is this one:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/drm/commit/?id=00847dabe0fa5ccf796658f486e8f6f7a77e043b
I'll try and pinpoint more precisely which commit broke mach64 - as
although the driver is gathering dust, there are still a few that use it
out there. I'd appreciate some help though, and I can test any patch at
any time (I have two working Mach64-equipped machines at my disposal).

Thanks,

Mitch Meyran