X hangs with blank screen on GDM with Xorg Radeon exa

Paul Jones raptorman18 at gmail.com
Wed May 20 13:02:00 PDT 2009

Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 3:50 AM, Paul Jones <raptorman18 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Michel Dänzer wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 03:35 -0400, Paul Jones wrote:
>>

>> Hi everyone, I'm using an ATI Radeon X1650 8x AGP card with a Pentium 4
>> board. When gdm is about to start X, I get a blank screen and  a totally
>> unresponsive computer, no ctrl-alt-backspace or anything, and the
>> monitor turns off because it is receiving no input. I need to hard reboot.
>>
>> I just started using this new ASRock motherboard because the usb ports
>> on my old motherboard were shot, but the 3D acceleration did work on the
>> old motherboard.
>>
>> Everything works fine when I boot with DRI disabled. These problems only
>> occur when I try 3D.
>>
>> I've tried several things, like switching between XXA and EXA, forcing
>> PCI mode, bypassing gdm and typing X in a virtual terminal, adding no
>> options to the device section, none of it makes a difference.
>>

>> Can you provide log files from trying with either of
>>
>> 	Option	"BusType" "PCI"
>> 	Option	"AGPMode" "4"
>>
>> ? (Please attach the files directly to your post rather than referencing
>> a pastebin site)
>>

>> Thanks for responding.  I just upgrade to the version in git, and applied
>> the patches that were attached in the bug report of random X hard lockups.
>> This did not resolve my problem.
>>
>> Here are the respective log problems asked for. They are quite similar.
>>

> Does the system still hang with those options?
>

>> Would it be helpful if I provided a backtrace from a ssh. I remember being
>> asked to do this before and succeeding, I just need to follow the guide.
>>

> Please.
>
> Alex

Yes, the system hangs as soon as gdm starts X. Hard Locks regardless of
what options I use or do not use.

I can't get a backtrace with ssh because X isn't running when I ssh in.
Sometimes the computer itself is completely unresponsive and I can't ssh
at all.

On very rare occaissions, I can get it started with dri enabled, but X
will eventually hang anyway.

I'm attaching a gdb that I collected using the single machine method
from the affected machine.

By the way I go by "ZitZ" in the #radeon irc.

PJ