X hangs with blank screen on GDM with Xorg Radeon exa

Paul Jones raptorman18 at gmail.com
Wed May 20 00:50:32 PDT 2009

Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 03:35 -0400, Paul Jones wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone, I'm using an ATI Radeon X1650 8x AGP card with a Pentium 4
>> board. When gdm is about to start X, I get a blank screen and  a totally
>> unresponsive computer, no ctrl-alt-backspace or anything, and the
>> monitor turns off because it is receiving no input. I need to hard reboot.
>>
>> I just started using this new ASRock motherboard because the usb ports
>> on my old motherboard were shot, but the 3D acceleration did work on the
>> old motherboard.
>>
>> Everything works fine when I boot with DRI disabled. These problems only
>> occur when I try 3D.
>>
>> I've tried several things, like switching between XXA and EXA, forcing
>> PCI mode, bypassing gdm and typing X in a virtual terminal, adding no
>> options to the device section, none of it makes a difference.
>>

> Can you provide log files from trying with either of
>
> 	Option	"BusType" "PCI"
> 	Option	"AGPMode" "4"
>
> ? (Please attach the files directly to your post rather than referencing
> a pastebin site)

Thanks for responding.  I just upgrade to the version in git, and
applied the patches that were attached in the bug report of random X
hard lockups. This did not resolve my problem.

Here are the respective log problems asked for. They are quite similar.

Would it be helpful if I provided a backtrace from a ssh. I remember
being asked to do this before and succeeding, I just need to follow the
guide.

PJ