X hangs with blank screen on GDM with Xorg Radeon exa

Paul Jones raptorman18 at gmail.com
Tue May 19 00:35:43 PDT 2009

Hi everyone, I'm using an ATI Radeon X1650 8x AGP card with a Pentium 4
board. When gdm is about to start X, I get a blank screen and  a totally
unresponsive computer, no ctrl-alt-backspace or anything, and the
monitor turns off because it is receiving no input. I need to hard reboot.

I just started using this new ASRock motherboard because the usb ports
on my old motherboard were shot, but the 3D acceleration did work on the
old motherboard.

Everything works fine when I boot with DRI disabled. These problems only
occur when I try 3D.

I've tried several things, like switching between XXA and EXA, forcing
PCI mode, bypassing gdm and typing X in a virtual terminal, adding no
options to the device section, none of it makes a difference.

http://pastebin.com/m4f0e3aea

is my xorg.conf

http://pastebin.com/m25c19de4

is my Xorg.0.log from a hang