ATI 9100 IGP TV Out

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 14:18:05 PDT 2009

Hi all,
   I hope this is the right list to ask some questions and try to
learn how to use the TV Out S-Video port. If not please direct me to
the right list.

   I have a machine that has the ATI 9100 IGP chipset in it. I have no
monitor attached, BIOS is set to display using S-Video, the machine
boots correctly, I see all the boot messages on my TV and can use the
computer in the console just fine watching the TV so at least the
hardware is working.

   Right now my questions are mainly about how to set up the
configuration file. When I run xorgconfig there really aren't any
questions about using the TV Out port so how do I go about setting it
up? Are there any example files online that show how to set this up
from scratch? Do I pretend that I'm doing to use a monitor and then
modify the config file by hand?

   When I attempt to start X with no /etc/X11/xorg.cong file I hear
the machine doing some work and then my TV screen goes blue and I see
nothing else from there on. I can ssh into the machine and look at the
log file while is attached below.

   Anyway, if folks have some idea about how to do this I'd really
appreciate some pointers.

   Distro is Gentoo, 2.6.29-gentoo-r5, xorg-server-1.5.3-r6,
xf86-video-ati-6.12.1-r1.

Thanks,
Mark