Radeon vs radeonhd driver

Toufann Chaudhuri toufann at deckpoint.ch
Thu Jun 4 02:56:13 PDT 2009

Hi,

I am just a "standard" user giving some return of experience (no
software or programming skills). I have Lenovo Thinkpad T60p with a
Mobility FireGL V5250 (chip ID 0x71d4 M56GL/M66). My linux distro is
Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope.

I have been reading that I should be using the radeonhd drivers.
However, I have been experiencing several issues, with suspend and
hibernate, and lockups (for instance when browsing with CoolIris) where
I have not choice but to hard reset the laptop.

Instead I tried to use the radeon driver and it does work fine. Suspend
works ok, and the framerate with glxgears is about 2000fps vs 1200 with
radeonhd.
--------
This is my Xorg.conf file

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"ATI Technologies Inc M56GL (Radeon Mobility FireGL V5250)"
	Driver		"radeon"
	Busid		"PCI:1:0:0"
	option 		"DRI" 		"on"
	Option      	"AccelMethod"   "EXA"  #either XAA or EXA
   	Option      	"AccelDFS"   	"true" #seemed to speed things up using
EXA acceleration
#   	Option      	"DynamicClocks" "on"   #like cpufreq's ondemand
function, throttles the gpu core and memory when idle
EndSection

Section "Module"
   #Load   "GLcore"
   Load   "bitmap"