pushed preparation patch for KMS

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 19:07:10 PDT 2009

2009/7/1 Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net>:
> On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 16:38 +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
>>
>> I pushed a patch that prepares the driver accel code for the upcoming
>> KMS/DRI2 support.
>>
>> This mainly sorts out the accel interfaces and tries to hide the mess
>> that supporting 25 different methods of
>> accel does.
>>
>> Let me know if it breaks anything major, or if there is any insanity
>> you'd rather see not live much longer.
>>
>> I've mainly tried to avoid having an #ifdef XF86DRM_MODE mass.
>
> Looking good basically. I haven't noticed any correctness regressions,
> but x11perf -aa10text seems to have dropped from almost 600k/s to just
> above 500k/s. Haven't had time to really look into why that is, but one
> thing I noticed before on kms-support is that we seem to be
> (re-)emitting some 2D state we never use with EXA, e.g. background
> colours. It might be worth even trying not to re-emit state that hasn't
> changed.

what hw was that on? my r500 has no difference before this commit and
after it with aa10text.

I'll try and get to some older hw later. We could probably two 2D the same
as 3D, setup the engine and then do emission, but I'm really trying to
avoid adding a full state caching + change feature to the DDX. From what I can
see for 2D we probably now emit 4 qwords more than previously. But if I can
reproduce it on my older hw I'll try and fix it.

Dave.