Tearing problem at bigger overlay sizes

Christiaan van Dijk dvbmail at xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 8 12:08:25 PST 2009

Hello,

I have an Albatron KI-690 mainboard with an RS690 integrated graphics
adapter running OpenSuSE 11.1. I have been trying different options for
the display driver. Most solutions show severe tearing during video
playback (diagonal line from bottom left to top right). Right now I'm
using the radeon driver with the following options:

Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
Option "EXAVSync" "on"

This setup seemed to work perfectly but some problems popped up. I'm
using a full-HD 1920x1080p/50Hz TV for output. When playing SD 4:3
(scaled to 1440x1080) with MythTV the picture is perfect, when playing
SD 16:9 (scaled to 1920x1080) the tearing is back. The same can be
reproduced with Mplayer, when increasing the image size there's a point
at which the tearing is back At smaller sizes there's is also a black
bar on the right side of the image when moving the image to the right
side of the screen. The black bar varies with the window size (bigger
image, wider bar), the rest of the picture is correct.

I suspect the waiting for the vsync is skipped when the image size is
increased, I've been looking in the EXA code but I'm not sure where to
look. Any suggestions or places to look in the code would be very welcome.

Regds,
Christiaan van Dijk