openbsd 4.4 mac mini ppc cannot go back to console

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 10:51:58 PST 2009

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 8:54 AM, gime shwe <shwegime at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I just upgraded to openbsd 4.4. Until openbsd 4.3 there was an option
> in xorg.conf "iBookHacks" that solved the problem mentioned in the
> subject. Now, with the new option "MacModel" it does not work. I've
> tried all the possible combinations (including commenting out the
> option): "mini" options let me use X with no way back, "powerbook"
> options give me a black screen with no way back, "ibook" option gives
> me a black screen but allowing to go back to console without freezing;
> I've tried to write a "iBookHacks" option with "ati" driver instead
> than "radeon". I've done a clean install, I've re-installed mac osx
> resetting the openfirmware in case it had something to do with that.
> I've tried to re-install openbsd 4.3, and it works with the
> "iBookHacks".
> The problem is that once it freezes (only in 4.4) I can only cut the
> power, I cannot get in from ssh. If, instead of closing X I try to
> "halt" or "reboot" ot hangs the same way. (By the way, while being in
> X everything is just fine).
> Below are my xorg.conf and my Xorg.log.
>
> Thank you

You want macmodel mini-internal or mini-external (mini is an alias for
mini-external).  The macmodel option only affects the output
enumeration, so selecting the wrong one will enable the wrong outputs
(VGA/DVI/LVDS/etc.).  Also, the ati and radeon drivers are the same
thing.  ati is just a wrapper that loads radeon, r128, or mach64
depending on the hw.  the ibookhacks option must be some openbsd
specific patch.  If you can point me to the patch I can look at
incorporating it into the upstream radeon driver.