Removing XAA render accel in radeon

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 11:33:38 PST 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Roland Scheidegger
<sroland at tungstengraphics.com> wrote:
> On 14.12.2009 15:22, Alex Deucher wrote:
>> XAA render support seems to be broken (fdo bug 22055, possibly
>> others).  It never really did much to begin with, and it only
>> supported r1xx and r2xx.  Any objections to me dumping XAA render
>> accel in the radeon driver?
>
> Hmm, personally I was never able to get good performance out of EXA with
> a 32MB r100 card (read: completely unusable). Maybe that has changed
> with more recent xorg server versions, and I guess it should have
> changed with KMS (I certainly used to have problems even with a 64MB
> card without KMS, if the resolution was more than XGA), but unless
> you're willing to ditch non-KMS too that might be a reason to keep it
> for now, though I guess that would mean fixing...

I think the XAA render problem is due to bitrot in the XAA code in the
xserver as the XAA render code in the driver hasn't been touched in
years and only recently have we started getting reports of it being
broken.  Does the XAA render code actually make much of a difference
performance-wise?  I never really noticed much difference with it.
It's especially useless since offscreen pixmap support for XAA broke a
year or two ago.  We could just default render accel to false with
XAA, but leave the code there, but I don't see anyone fixing XAA, so
there's not much point in keeping it.