ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 and OpenSUSE 11.2: experiencing difficulties with 3D

Max Di Cosimo mdicosimo at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 13 07:33:22 PST 2009

Hello there,
after a good experience with 10.3 I've just installed OpenSuse 11.2 on my laptop equipped with a Mobility Radeon X1600.
System came up with the "Mesa" driver installed as default:

OpenGL vendor string: DRI R300 Project
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 (RV530 71C5) 20090101 x86/MMX/SSE2 TCL
OpenGL version string: 1.5 Mesa 7.6

Now I have some problems with 3D (that I didn't have on 10.3 + ATI proprietary driver) even if the driver should provide good support my graphic card.

- OpenGL based game "Nexuiz" hangs just before showing the first 3d scene, even if I deactivate almost every graphic options;
- SuperTuxRacer hangs after some seconds of playing
- also glxgears hung once (not always)
- Blender, 3D modeling tool, also based on OpenGL, shows bad colors in the interface (menus, toolbar);

I'm available for some test, with your help, to understand if there is some way to improve situation.
For example, adding some option to the "Device" section of Xorg.conf that I recreated with Sax2.

Thank you for any suggestion

Max