remove "--disable-dri" target, add "--enable-xaa" target for configure

Martin Stolpe martinstolpe at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 16:24:01 PST 2009

Hello,
this is my first post on this list, so please don't be too harsh to me. ;-)
Please keep in mind that I only have some very basic programming skills and
its the first time I looked at the driver code. So please excuse me if I got
some things wrong.

I've started a thread on the phoronix forums:
http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20718
This e-mail is supposed to be a summary of the thread and of what I've
understood/not understood so far.

I was playing around with the ati driver and the things related to the driver
(DRI, DRI2, KMS) this weekend because KMS+DRI2 is making some problems on my
system (opening many windows causing the system to freeze for a split second,
mouse cursor stuttering because of this, audio stutters). I didn't file a bug
report because I have no idea what's causing this behaviour (driver, mesa,
kernel, xorg,...).

On to the summary: -It seems like the driver doesn't work when xorg server is
compiled with dri disabled (driver compiles but X server won't start), so I
removed the "--disable-dri" target from the make configuration.
-I've added an "--enable-xaa" to the make configuration
-fixed two version checks which didn't work correctly
-XF86DRI is defined by xorg. So the "--disable-dri" target doesn't work because
XF86DRI will be defined if xorg-server is compiled with dri support. Can
someone confirm this?

My Xorg.log tells me now:
"RADEON(0): [agp] AGP not available
RADEON(0): [agp] AGP failed to initialize. Disabling the DRI."
but this doesn't seem to be the fault of the driver.
Setup is as follows:
 -kms enabled
 -xorg compiled with dri, dri2
 -ati driver compiled with "--disable-kms"

Greetings,
Martin