fixed aspect scaling and 16:10 modes

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 15:33:38 PDT 2009

On 4/10/09, Rafi Rubin <rafi at ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
> You'll see the modes that I keep around in my xorg.conf.  I don't actually use all that many of them with much regularity, but they
>  are nice have.
>
>  I think the ones I consider most important are those that match the most common vesa modes in height while maintaining the 16:10
>  aspect ratio.  And I also like the have the modes that precisely half the dimensions of the native resolution of the screen.
>
>  At this point most the newer screen I work with are 1280x800 or 1920x1200.
>
>  So, I'd personally suggest including:
>  640x400, 768x480, 960x600, 1229x768, 1280x800, and 1920x1200
>  (not terribly fond of the 1024 high resolutions, too much pain with 5x4 screens).
>

>  Anyway, I think aside from listing resolutions people like, ignoring modelines in x config is a bad idea.  Especially if the driver
>  gives no indication as to why its rejecting them or some warning that it doesn't even want to process them.

The driver doesn't ignore modelines, your configuration is just
incorrect for a randr 1.2 capable driver.  You need to associate your
monitor with a particular output since you have more than one (LVDS,
VGA-0, and DVI-0).  Since your monitor is not linked to a particular
output, it gets associated with the first output enuerated, which in
your case is VGA-0:
(II) RADEON(0): Output VGA-0 using monitor section Monitor0
Hence all your user specified mode end up associated with VGA-0 rather
than LVDS.

Either rename your monitor to the name of the output you want to
associate it with:
Identifier   "Monitor0" -> Identifier   "LVDS"
or create a manual association in your device section:
Option "Monitor-LVDS" "Monitor-0"

See section III. of this page for more information:
http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12

>  As for the fixed aspect scaling.  Its just nice to be able to play some of the less sophisticated games that don't really handle the
>  resolutions nicely without odd jiggery pokery.  Though just having used xrandr 1.3 for the first time today, I see that manual
>  scaling and panning will suffice to make things nice for those games.  But it still requires a bit of fiddling.

You can set the scale type to center or aspect or full using the
xrandr command I mentioned in the previous email:
xrandr --output LVDS --set scaler aspect
or
xrandr --output LVDS --set scaler center
or
xrandr --output LVDS --set scaler full

That will change the scale method used when not using the panel's
native mode.  The default is full.