R300 with DRI: seems to work, but very dark image

Nemosoft Unv. nemosoft at smcc.demon.nl
Mon Apr 6 18:24:00 PDT 2009

Hello,

I'm trying to get X.org running on my laptop with hardware 3D acceleration
enabled. The machine has a "ATI Mobility Radeon X700 XL", based on a Radeon
R300 core. I've built X, drm, Mesa, etc. etc. all from git, and it runs.

The problem is as follows: running 'glxgears' and the 'teapot' demo using
software rendering works, but slow, of course. Teapot runs at about 6-8 fps.

Now, using the hardware acceleration, I only get a black or very dark image.
Glxgears doesn't show anything, and the teapot shows a very,very faint
version of the demo, which I can see by looking at just the right angle at
the LCD. But from what I can see, the demo runs smoothly and a lot faster
than software rendering.

So apparently the hardware rendering works, there just doesn't seem te be any
light in the scene. Other demos sometimes produce black/grayish images (can't
recall excatly which one) or pastel colors.

Now before I start sending heaps of logs and xorg.confs I would to know if
anybody has experienced something similar. I've tried Xorg 7.4, the latest
Xorg-git version, and also Mesa 7.2, Mesa 7.4 and mesa-git. All show similar
results...

Any hints would be appreciated!

 - Nemosoft