blinking video on my second display

Phil Oleson oz at nixil.net
Thu Apr 2 18:13:31 PDT 2009

Hi all,

	So I recently picked up a PCIE Diamond branded Radeon HD 4850
dual DVI output card for my system. I've played with the xorg
configuration and I think I have the correct setup for my system
at this point.  My problem at this point is the second LCD randomly
blanking out similar to a couple of this lists previous emails.
(sorry for not replying to those to keep the threading but I just
subscribed to the list).

Now the Primary LCD is working well.. no problems that I've noticed
yet.  The other is Blanking out at times, but working at others.
I've also seen some video irregularities within the KDE background
such as lines vertically across the left hand side, as well as some
issues with some colors.. ( similar to some Mandelbrot jagged lines )

So I'm running bleeding edge FreeBSD Current, with the drm/DRI updates
that Robert Noland checked-in to the OS. So that should be okay.

Software wise I'm running xorg-server-1.5.3_7,1 with an up to date
git version of xf86-video-ati.  (was running 6.12.1 but I wanted to
see if there was anything in the repository that might help me out)

-----------
# lspci | grep ATI
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV770 [Radeon HD
4850]
01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc HD48x0 audio

-----------
# pciconf -lv (output)
vgapci0 at pci0:1:0:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x439018bc chip=0x94421002
rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
     vendor     = 'ATI Technologies Inc'
     class      = display
     subclass   = VGA
hdac0 at pci0:1:0:1:       class=0x040300 card=0xaa3018bc chip=0xaa301002
rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
     vendor     = 'ATI Technologies Inc'
     class      = multimedia
     subclass   = HDA

-----------

home# grep -v ^# xorg.conf

Section "Module"
     Load        "dbe"   # Double buffer extension
     SubSection  "extmod"
       Option    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
     EndSubSection
     Load        "freetype"
EndSection

Section "Files"
     FontPath   "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
     FontPath   "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
     FontPath   "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/OTF"
     FontPath   "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
     FontPath   "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
     FontPath   "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
     FontPath   "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/local/"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier  "Keyboard1"
     Driver      "kbd"
     Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
     Option "XkbModel"    "microsoft"
     Option "XkbRules"   "xorg"
     Option "XkbModel"   "pc105"
     Option "XkbLayout"  "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier  "Mouse1"
     Driver      "mouse"
     Option "Protocol"    "Auto" # Auto detect
     Option "Device"      "/dev/sysmouse"
     Option "ZAxisMapping"   "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
     Identifier  "RightScreen"
     HorizSync   30.0-81.0
     VertRefresh 56.0-75.0
     Option      "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
     Identifier  "LeftScreen"
     HorizSync   30.0-81.0
     VertRefresh 56.0-75.0
     Option      "DPMS"
     Option      "LeftOf"  "RightScreen"
EndSection

Section "Device"
     Identifier  "Standard VGA"
     VendorName  "Unknown"
     BoardName   "Unknown"
     Driver     "vga"
EndSection

Section "Device"
     Identifier  "ATI"
     Driver      "radeon"
     Option      "monitor-DVI-1" "RightScreen"
     Option      "monitor-DVI-0" "LeftScreen"
     Option      "DRI" "on"
     Option      "AccelMethod" "EXA"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
     Identifier  "Screen 0"
     Device      "ATI"
     Monitor     "RightScreen"
     DefaultDepth 24
     Subsection "Display"
          Modes      "1680x1050"
          Virtual     3360 1050
     EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
     Identifier  "Multihead Layout"
     Screen "Screen 0"
     InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
     InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

(I cleaned up some whitespace in the xorg.conf output to compat things)

Any thoughts on what I've screwed up or should try now?

oh and is there anyway to turn on some debugging on the driver? I see
nothing in the Xorg.log.0 file to trigger any concern.  Throw patches
or whatnot at me and I'll try them out.

(oh.. if I should put this in your bug tracking system let me know)

	-Phil.