what is shortest path to trying the latest ati driver ...

Alexander Haley ahaley at alum.wpi.edu
Wed Sep 17 17:56:06 PDT 2008

So, I spent a bunch of time today .. and I followed the git_xorg.sh
script, and tweaked the libraries on my system ... and after six
hours, I actually arrived at a compiled Xorg server, etc etc in my
build directory ... So - I followed the instructions, something along
the lines of startx -- /path/to/Xorg ... and .. X even started! I'm
thinking "great! For a beginner, this is pretty awesome" ...

Quickly,  I realize that I have no keyboard support and no mouse
support. And the original purpose of this recompile (bugzilla bug #
15708) also didn't appear resolved.

So - with hope, I turn to the mailing list with the following questions.

1) If I merely wish to try out the newest git pull of the ati driver
... is there a short easy way to do so that avoid recompiling the
entire xserver kit - n - kaboodle?

2) Secondly -- I tried to "hotswap" my old xserver with the new ati
.so files ... and expectedly this didn't work. The xserver log said
"ERR! We're version X and this appears to be version Y" ... So, I
deviously thought .. perhaps I could decrement the version number in
... in a make file? in a configure script? .. in a macro include ...
Question # two is - just how does X know the version of what I'm
compiling .. I imagined I'd see "VERSION=1.2.3.4" ~somewhere~ ... but
I didn't.

Well I appreciate all and any advice you might offer ...

Alexander