Xv performance and quality issues at 1920x1080/60 resolution

Jason Keirstead jason at keirstead.org
Tue Sep 16 05:14:10 PDT 2008

> It probably only applies to OpenGL rendering, not XVideo. Something like
> Alex's changes above would be necessary to prevent tearing with textured
> XVideo.

No I don't think so... it is not tied to any rendering method. Docs say this:

There are two mechanisms to sync to VBlank under XOrg.  OpenGL has the
GLX_SGI_video_sync extension, and DRM has DRM_IOCTL_WAIT_VBLANK .  One
or both of these works
on most modern hardware.  Both of these are useable for video output
-- MythTV, for example,
will select whichever is available.

--
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in
practice, there is.

- Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut