Dual head cursor weirdness problem.

Mark London mrl at psfc.mit.edu
Thu Sep 4 12:00:55 PDT 2008

Hi - We just upgraded from Redhat 4 to Redhat 5, and also upgraded our
ATI driver to the last version that supported our FireGL 8800 card (ATI
driver version 8.28.8).  In a dual head configuration, everything seems
to work, except that when I drag a window from the main screen to the
secondary screen, the cursor stays as the drag icon (crossbar), rather
than reverting back to the arrow icon.  When the cursor has this icon,
it makes it hard to do simple things like resizing windows, as it's not
totally obvious where to position the cursor to grab the edge of the
windows. If I move the cursor back to the main window, it then reverts
to the arrow cursor, and I can then move the cursor to the secondary
window where it stays as an arrow.

What is more likely to be the cause of this problem, i.e. the ATI
driver, or the version of Xorg that we are running 7.1.1?   Can anyone
suggests a solution (besides updating the graphics card)?  Thanks very
much. - Mark