Output order on Radeon X1950 [patch]

Jörg Walter jwalt at garni.ch
Tue Oct 21 10:43:19 PDT 2008

On Tuesday, 21. October 2008, you wrote:
> The order is arbitrary and changing it would break existing setups.
> Also, the radeon driver has had randr 1.2 support for much longer than
> radeonhd or fglrx.

Still, all other drivers, including Windows, agree on "first" vs. "second"
output connector, regardless of RandR 1.2 or not -- point is, if I switch
drivers or OS, my primary display suddenly isn't primary anymore, kdm appears
on the wrong screen, as does the taskbar or yakuake.

Really, should I switch my monitor cables every time I switch from/to radeon
driver, like after running Windows or maybe using fglrx for a gaming session?
IMHO this is far worse breakage than a one-time setup change for a driver that
claims it is still under development. My patch even avoids renaming devices,
so no setups can break except those that rely on the allegedly arbitrary
order.

--
CU
	Jörg