radeon, M22 X300, a pair of monitors, and maximizing resolution with good performance

Thomas Vaughan tevaughan at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 06:57:58 PDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 4:33 PM, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The way randr 1.2 works is that a single large surface is allocated
> for the entire desktop and each crtc scans out of a portion of that
> desktop.  For rotation the we use a rotated buffer of the same size.

Thanks for being patient and explaining.

My goal is to have decent performance for 2D and 3D across two 1600x1200
monitors with the M22 X300.

- Putting them side by side at 3200x1200 works fine for 2D but runs past
  the 2560-column limit for 3D.

- Turning the monitors to portrait mode and putting them side by side
  doesn't work because rotation is not accelerated without EXA, and,
  even with EXA, the whole desktop is too big to rotate with a single
  texture.

- Putting the monitors one above the other in normal landscape mode
  might work, but is at the moment mechanically infeasible.

- The only remaining possibility would seem to be using Xinerama with
  two different frame buffers, one for each monitor, but I seem to
  recall that hardware-acclerated 3D won't work in this mode.

Perhaps it's time to give up.  :^(

Unless anyone has an idea of how I might reach my goal, I'll sign off
now.

Thanks for your prompt and generous responses.  :^)

--
Thomas E. Vaughan