radeon, M22 X300, a pair of monitors, and maximizing resolution with good performance

Thomas Vaughan tevaughan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 14:39:20 PDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 9:57 AM, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 9:32 AM, Thomas Vaughan <tevaughan at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Just to be clear---in case anyone might be confused by my sloppy
> > wording---I rotated clockwise each of the two 1600x1200 LCD panels
> > attached to my docking station.  Then I used 'Option "Rotate"
> > "Left"' on each of them.  With side-by-side monitors, each in
> > portrait orientation (instead of the usual landscape orientation),
> > my virtual desktop size was then 2400x1600.
>
> accelerated rotation uses textures to rotate the desktop, so the max
> size would be 2048x2048.

But for rotation of a monitor, one doesn't want to rotate the whole
desktop.  One wishes only to rotate for each monitor the portion of the
display that appears on that monitor.  In my case, it would seem that I
need two textures, each 1600x1200.

> Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"

Thanks!

> > > On second thought, I'm afraid this won't help as the 3D engine
> > > probably only supports textures up to 2048x2048.
> >
> > Well, that would matter (hopefully) only if I actually wanted to use
> > textures bigger than 2048x2048.  Perhaps it would affect me if I
> > wanted to use a big texture for the whole virtual desktop.
>
> When using accelerated rotation with EXA, textures are used so the
> limit applies here.

Again, I'm not seeing why EXA would need a single texture for the entire
virtual desktop.  It would seem to need a texture for each 1600x1200
monitor.

--
Thomas E. Vaughan