No DVI output on ATI Xpress 200 with ati_drv v6.8.0

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 09:44:21 PDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 4:57 PM, J Jude <jmjudeb at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an HP DC5750 workstation, with an on-board ATI Xpress 200 video
>  card.  The card has both DVI and VGA outputs.
>
>  I would like to use DVI output with my monitor, but I cannot seem to
>  get DVI to show on screen, unless VGA is also connected.  In other
>  words, if I connect both the DVI and VGA outputs to one monitor, then
>  I can use DVI output.  If I disconnect VGA output, then X seems to use
>  the DVI output, but the screen is blank.  There are no errors, xrandr
>  thinks that LVDS output is working, but the screen is blank.
>
>  I have attached my xorg.conf file, Xorg.0.log and "xrandr -q" for VGA
>  disconnected and connected.
>
>  I am running Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10, with a git-fresh ati_drv.so and
>  ati_radeon.so.  fglrx drivers are not installed.
>
>  Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?  Do I need to update any other drivers?

DVI support is non-standard on XPRESS chips. I'm trying to sort that
out now, but I don't have the hardware.  If you can test with the
latest driver from xf86-video-ati git master, it may work.  Either
way, can you send me your bios?  We should be able to get this sorted
out.

as root:
cd /sys/bus/pci/devices/<pci bus id of card>
echo 1 > rom; cat rom > /tmp/vbios.rom; echo 0 > rom

Thanks,