system lockups on V5200 with git pull from today

Brad Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Fri Mar 7 21:27:50 PST 2008

When I try to play a video file with VLC it starts fine in a small
window, but if i enlarge the window my system locks up with the sound
stuttering and only part of the screen drawn.

I can't get any kind of stack trace because the system is totally hung.

I'm moving back to to the ati drivers in hardy's package manager and I
don't want to spend the time now to do a git bisect to find where this
started happening, but I thought you might want know about this,
I've attached my Xorg log file.

It also feels much slower than before.

It does play fine with the version in hardy.

(II) LoadModule: "ati"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//ati_drv.so
(II) Module ati: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        compiled for 1.4.0.90, module version = 6.8.0
        Module class: X.Org Video Driver
        ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 2.0
(II) LoadModule: "radeon"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//radeon_drv.so
(II) Module radeon: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        compiled for 1.4.0.90, module version = 4.3.0
        Module class: X.Org Video Driver
        ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 2.0

Thanks for your efforts on this driver.

brad