r128 or new card

alberto hernando pajaro.go at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 15:35:11 PDT 2008

> the r128 driver is not deprecated, it's just a separate driver now
> (xf86-video-r128).  although, I don't know how well it's been tested
> lately.  most radeons should work fine.

Hi.

First of all, I'd like to apologize, because I sent a reply to Alex
and not to the list. In this reply, Alex told me that perhaps I had a
problem with my libgl. Well, I tried

LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo

but I didn't get any info. Actually, I had already tried it. But I
forgot to say it before. Well, I noticed that Mesa-7.0.3 was out and
gave it a try. And also updated xserver to 1.4.2. Now it works, so I'm
not sure what was wrong before. I'm using LFS and it is a bit slow to
test things, so you just don't test any possible combination.

Even so, I'd like to make a question: glxgears (around 500 fps) takes
a lot of cpu (close to 100%) and mplayer is faster with vx than with
gl. So... what's happening here? Shouldn't all the hard work be done
by the card? Or is there something else? I've noticed that some
configuration with /etc/drirc is possible. Any tweak recommended?

Thanks