Opensource TV Out Issues

Paul Jones raptorman18 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 16:56:32 PDT 2008

Hello, I"m having some issues with the opensource radeon driver's tv-out
settings on my ati mobility radeon 9000. I like to use the xrandr interface
on my Dell D600 laptop, which is currently running Debian Lenny, 2.6.24, and
whatever version of the ati drivers that is currently in testing.

I get the TV to display the same thing as my monitor with the following
commands and they work well.

xrandr --addmode S-video 800x600
xrandr --outut LVDS --mode 800x600
xrandr --output S-video --set tv_vertical_position 5 --mode 800x00 --same-as
LVDS

However, there is a good region at the bottom of the screen that is not
covered, because the image of my desktop on the TV is too small. So I'm
wondering if there is any overscan setting that exists, or is in the works,
and how long before we can expect to see it. I'm also wondering if there is
some other possible work around. There is a setting currently available
through xrandr to adjust the horizontal size (tv_horizontal_size) but there
does not appear to be a command to adjust the vertical size
(tv_vertical_size doesn't exist?), which could possibly solve my problem,
since even when I have overscan on in Windows XP with the factory drivers,
the overscan would leave portions of the screen cutoff.

I also want to report a bug that may be of interest, but I'm not even sure
if it is a bug: When I set the S-Video output I like to turn off my monitor
with the command xrandr --output LVDS --off. This way I don't feel like I'm
putting extra life on my laptop monitor and power sources, when I'm using
TV-Out for extended time periods. However, when I do this and try to
fullscreen the video player, X completely crashes and takes me back to the
gdm. So, I don't know if it's something I'm doing wrong or a capability we
just don't have yet.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I tried to keep it short.