poor display with fedora 8 and Radeon ATI ES1000

Downs, John John.Downs at idearc.com
Wed Jun 4 11:20:33 PDT 2008

      Greetings, I have an HP Proliant ML 570 with a Radeon ATI ES1000
515EPCI graphic controller. I recently installed fedora 8 on this
machine and ran into problems right away, the gui interface did display
correctly, so I did the text version.   I installed the following driver
"xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.8.0-1.fc8.x86.rpm" and still had problems. The
problem is: the display is almost unreadable and unusable, the text is
not clear, so the GUI interface is useless.  I suspect it may be my
xorg.conf file so I have included it.  Thanks for any and all help!

-john

# Xorg configuration created by livna-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "single head configuration"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Files"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option      "AIGLX" "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us+inet"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        ModelName    "LCD Panel 1024x768"
        HorizSync    31.5 - 48.0
        VertRefresh  56.0 - 65.0
        Option      "dpms"
        DisplaySize  433 270
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "radeon"
        VendorName  "ATI"
        BoardName   "ATI Radeon ES1000"

        # Options recommended on dri.freedesktop.org
        Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"
        Option "AGPMode" "1"
        Option "EnablePageFlip" "1"
        Option "ColorTiling" "1"

        Option      "UseInternalAGPGART" "no"
        Option      "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
        Option      "VideoOverlay" "on"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                # Fix the viewable area to 1680x1050, or something
                Virtual     1680 1050
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection