Hard freezes of ThinkPad T41p (ATI Mobility FireGL T2)

Valentin Schwamberger v.schwamberger at gmx.de
Wed Jan 30 07:59:37 PST 2008

Alex Deucher wrote on 30.01.2008 15:39:
> On Jan 30, 2008 6:22 AM, Valentin Schwamberger <v.schwamberger at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Alex Deucher wrote on 28.01.2008 00:34:

>>> Remove all of the options you've tried in your current config.  Do any
>>> of these options help?
>>>
>>> 1. Turn off dynamicclocks.  just remove the option.  It's off by
>>> default.  you'll have to reboot after changing this.
>>>
>>> 2. Option "BusType" "PCI"
>>>
>>> 3. Option "AGPMode" "4"
>>>
>>> 4. Option "DRI" "False"
>>>

>>> Alex
>> Thanks a lot for your answer! I have tested all the options (and
>> different combinations too), but none of them seem to solve the problem.
>> The freezes still persist, especially when changing from console to X
>> and vice versa, but also when Gnome's desktop comes up. I tested with
>> git version from late December and with current git. This happens on
>> ubuntu 7.10.
>>
>> Any more suggestions? How can we debug this further?
>
> Can you get a log from one of the locked up sessions?

Yes. It is on
http://www.pci.uni-heidelberg.de/tc/usr/bernd/downloads/xorg_t41p/Xorg_crash.0.log

I created it by (cold) starting the ThinkPad. In BIOS, the primary
display was set to DVI (LVDS stays black, ttys are shown on the DVI).
Then the Xserver/gdm came up. It switched on LVDS and DVI. When I
changed to the console, back to X, back to the console, back to X, I got
a hard freeze. This was the easiest way to reproduce it.

The freezes seem to happen more often with DVI set as primary display
(as stated in the reply to Jerome).

Thanks for all your help!

Valentin