vesafb console text in dark-grey after loading X

Marius Groeger mgroeger at sysgo.com
Wed Jan 23 09:04:02 PST 2008

Hello,

I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 on a T43 and xf86-video-ati git master.

Since a couple of weeks, if I switch back to the text console using
Ctrl-Alt-Fx or upon terminating the X session, I notice that the text
is displayed in a very dark grey instrad of the default console text
grey. It's so dark that it's barely readable. I'm not (consciously)
using any extra console tricks other than what standard Ubuntu might
do.

Any clues, anybody?

My xorg.conf Device and Module sections are as follows:

Section "Module"
    Disable "bitmap"
    Disable "ddc"
    Disable "type1"
    Disable "int10"
    Disable "vbe"
    Load    "dbe"
    Load    "dri"
    SubSection "extmod"
        Option "omit xfree86-dga"
    EndSubSection
    Load    "glx"
    Load    "freetype"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "X300"
    Driver      "radeon"
    Option      "AccelMethod"           "XAA"
    Option      "GARTSize"  "64"
    Option      "ColorTiling"  "on"
    Option      "DynamicClocks"  "on"
    Option      "FBTexPercent"  "75"