ATI drivers and Mac Power PC

Robin H. Johnson robbat2 at gentoo.org
Mon Jan 21 18:12:31 PST 2008

On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 02:15:29PM -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Jan 20, 2008 7:07 AM, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2 at gentoo.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:39:56PM -0800, R.C. wrote:
> > > Does anyone know of a way to run Linux on this machine with this card?
> > At the low-level, there are some glitches. See if you can access the PCI
> > ROM on your card at all. In the case of the X1900 in my Quad G5, the
> > entire PCI ROM shows up as empty, so all of the AtomBIOS initialization
> > code fails in both the xf86-video-ati and xf86-video-radeonhd drivers.
> >
> > I last tested about 2 weeks ago, I'm not sure if any progress has been
> > made in on either set of drivers since then. radeonhd used to have a
> > function specifically for reading the ROM from the non-primary card,
> > that probably needs a bit more TLC (and help from ATI), but should then
> > manage to extract the ROM.
>
> There are several issues:
>
> 1. Mac cards don't have ATOM bios, they have some mac specific rom, so
> they will likely never work with the current drivers.
Notice per my previous posts, that all means of reading any ROM on the
X1900 have turned up only nulls or no data. This includes the sysfs rom
node as well as the radeonhd functionality to read ROMs thus far.

It's the fact that it reads back as all zeros that concerns me - not
even getting back a copy of the OFW-specific ROM.

> 2. the ATOM parser isn't currently big endian aware
> Once the ATOM parser is fixed for big endian any PC card should work.
The secondary card in my G5 is an X700, so when you think you have the
endian parsing fixed, give me a shout, and I can test.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux Developer & Infra Guy
E-Mail     : robbat2 at gentoo.org