ATI drivers and Mac Power PC

Michel Dänzer michel at tungstengraphics.com
Sun Jan 20 03:48:58 PST 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 23:39 -0800, R.C. wrote:
> I have a Mac G5 PowerPc Dual Core.
>
> I installed Fedora8 and all went well.   All appears to be up and
> running with no problems expect starting xserver.
>
> I have an ATI Radeon x1900 Video card.  ATI tells me there are no
> drivers supported for the Power Pc platform.
>
> Does anyone know of a way to run Linux on this machine with this card?
>
> I desperately need to run a Linux based program and hoped this would be
> then answer.

You could try current xf86-video-ati Git; it basically supports your
card, though there may be issues with the low-level initialization of
the card. There's also xf86-video-radeonhd, but I have no idea what the
status of that is on powerpc.

Also, if OpenFirmware puts up an image on the card on bootup, the
xf86-video-fbdev driver should work with the kernel OFfb driver.