Error in video display -- ati 3D RagePro card

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Wed Jan 16 09:55:29 PST 2008

Greetings

I have recently installed Fedora 8.0 and also
Ubuntu 7.10 on two of my 'under used' systems.

At first, I used some S3 video cards, but found
that the screen resolution was too low.

I reconfigured those systems to use 2 ati cards:
ati 3D Rage Pro rev92 and ati 3D Rage Pro 215GP rev 92.

I'm not trying to do anything fancy (no TV in or
TV out; no dual head; ...).

However, the display shows some garbage.

I believe that Fedora is up to date as about 200
packages have downloaded since the install -- the
most recent package D/L was on Jan 15, 2008.

When using those systems (both Ubuntu and Fedora),
the display usually shows an error.  In some cases,
something that looks like a bar-code in the top left
corner of the display, or there will be 2 vertical
bars in the center of the display.  Sometimes these
artifacts will move to a position near the cursor.
Sometimes (but not often) the display is OK.

I tried doing a software screen capture, but the error
did not show in the captured image.  I used a digital
camera to capture an example of the error.

Follow this ink to see a picture of the error.
http://users.nac.net/mdiehl/VideoError/DSCN3515s.jpg

What information do you need from /var/log/Xorg.0.log ?

What other information do you need?

If it helps, I can pull the cards and get the ati part
numbers from the cards.

--
Martin

Visit my online gallery at Renderosity [3D Artist's Community]
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=MGD

So much wisdom and knowledge but so little time and bandwidth.
--MGD