Google Earth + Radeon = True

Torquil Macdonald Sørensen torquil at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 09:06:52 PST 2008

Hello, for a long time I was unable to get Google Earth + Open Source Radeon
driver to work together on my IBM T42 w/ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 M10. I
therefore had to cope with the instabilities of the ATI fglrx driver (system
freezes) when I wanted Google Earth to work.

However, a came over some instructions on how to make it work:
http://www.bramschoenmakers.nl/node/315

I already had accellerated 3D when using the radeon driver, but Google Earth
was still extremely slow. But the driconf settings given at the above web
page did the trick, and now Google Earth is working beautifully, apart for a
1min startup delay. (NB! I had to use ~/.drirc, not ~/.driconf for the
driconf configuration filename on my Debian Unstable system)

Since many are complaining about instabilities in the fglrx-driver, and quite
a few are probably using it to make Google Earth work, maybe the page
mentioned above should be linked to from the radeon driver webpages?

Best regards,
Torquil Sørensen