RS690 with the -ati driver, interesting xorg.log ?

JoJo jojo onetwojojo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 07:26:08 PST 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 8:35 PM, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 3:50 AM, JoJo jojo <onetwojojo at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Hi everyone
>  >   I tried the -ati driver on RS690,
>  >   (ubuntu packages from: https://launchpad.net/%7Etormodvolden/+archive)
>  >
>  >   1) changes more modes to show gnome login screen than radeonhd
>  >   2) dri crashed(due to not using latest mesa & dri), but it crashed the
>  >   X server as well
>  >   3) glxgears ~650, entirely using the CPU alone
>  >   4) was unable to change resolution via gui (GNOME) ?
>
>  DRI support isn't quite stable yet.  You might try forcing the size of
>  the framebuffer in the bios if you have the option.  on some cards if
>  you force it to a size, like 128 MB, rather than setting it to "auto,"
>  it works better.  Your best bet for changing modes is the xrandr
>  utility.  Some of the gui utilities are not randr 1.2 aware and the
>  1.0 compat stuff doesn't always work well.
>
>  Alex

Hi Alex

Well, we still want to test & report the DRI status to you guys anyways.
The framebuffer in bios ?, if that means RAM allocated to IGP(GART size?),
it was explicitly set to 256 MB for the above logs.
And the delay before showing gdm login screen is due to -ati trying
various settings?
but radeonHD takes less time to come up.

OK so resolution change gui is not -ati driver's fault, gnome has to fix it.
(we will use xrandr or xorg.conf in the meanwhile for testing)

the package builders face no problems with building modular drivers(very good),
but are at a loss with mesa & DRI/DRM, hopefully you will help advice/address
the situation when you have some freetime.

there is some inconsistency in naming -ati (drivers) & radeon (in bugzilla)
(will that change?). Also some inconsistency in x.org git (via gitweb) which
i reported on X.org ML. Which page should we refer to in x.org wiki
for -ati drivers?

ciao

-JoJo