ATI Radeon 5xx (RV530 AGP) freezes X with DRI enabled.

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 07:05:45 PST 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 1:10 AM,  <raiden at server.boros.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I have the latest kernel installed (2.6.25-rc3) which has the newest
>  radeon kernel modules that supports the Radeon 5xx series. I just
>  downloaded the latest X, Mesa, and ATI driver from git (not the radeonhd
>  or avivo) and it seems to freeze X. I have my Radeon Saphire X1600PRO 512mb AGP
>  connected via DVI to a HDMI tv (DVI->HDMI) and with DRI enabled (default),
>  it freezes X and even after trying to kill X, It doesn't remove itself and
>  I have to reboot.  If I turn off DRI, X loads no problem.
>
>  The second issue is if X loads (when I turn off DRI), I do a xrandr which
>  tells me what possible graphic modes I can set the display and the max
>  resolution is
>  1280x768. I know forsure that the card should be able to display up to
>  1920x1080 as I have done it before with the AMD supplied ATI driver. Any
>  ideas?

You'll need to post a log.  It's probably getting the mode info from
the edid your monitor supplies.  1280x768 is probably the native
resolution of your monitor.  The monitor probably scales 1920x1080
down to it's native resolution.  That said, you can add a 1920x1080
modeline to your config or use xrandr to add a 1920x1080 mode on the
fly.