radeon + xrandr + laptop/external monitor display problem

kewlemer kewlemer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 23:58:53 PST 2008

On Feb 18, 2008 4:56 PM, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2008 7:32 PM, kewlemer <kewlemer at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > you'll probably want to remove any old gnome randr stuff in:
> > > /desktop/gnome/screen/$hostname/$screennum/
> > >
> > Thanks very much for the reply Alex. Excuse me for asking these basic
> > questions, my knowledge about X is limited, but I'm learning. I looked
> > randr stuff -
> > [root at x1002us ~]# locate "/gnome/screen/"
> > /home/holler/.gconf/desktop/gnome/screen/%gconf.xml
> > /home/holler/.gconf/desktop/gnome/screen/x1002us
> > /home/holler/.gconf/desktop/gnome/screen/x1002us/%gconf.xml
> > /home/holler/.gconf/desktop/gnome/screen/x1002us/0
> > /home/holler/.gconf/desktop/gnome/screen/x1002us/0/%gconf.xml
> > [root at x1002us ~]#
> >
> > Here is %gconf.xml -
> > <?xml version="1.0"?>
> > <gconf>
> >         <entry name="rate" mtime="1202371546" type="int" value="60">
> >         </entry>
> >         <entry name="resolution" mtime="1202371546" type="string">
> >                 <stringvalue>1680x1050</stringvalue>
> >         </entry>
> > </gconf>
> >
> > Is it alright?
> >

> I'm not familiar with the gconf stuff unfortunately.  I think you want
> to remove it.

Thanks very much for the reply Alex. Removing gconf did'nt help
unfortunately. I will research on gconf. But I have ONE last question.
I realized that if I force the display to external monitor by default,
I can use the function key to  switch back to the laptop screen if
needed. So my LAST question is how do configure my xorg.conf that uses
radeon to default to external display ?

I found this link that mentioned defaulting external display but since
it uses fglrx, I think  "Generic Autodetecting Monitor" option didn't
work for me -
http://tilmanfrosch.de/wp/index.php/2007/05/05/howto-make-a-ubuntu-linux-on-an-ibm-t41-thinkpad-work-with-an-external-widescreen-wxga-display/

I also tried -
Section "Monitor"
           Identifier      "LVDSMonitor"
           Option          "Disable"    "TRUE"
EndSection

The result was
(II) RADEON(0): Output VGA-0 disabled by config file
(II) RADEON(0): Output LVDS disconnected
(II) RADEON(0): Output S-video disconnected
(EE) RADEON(0): No valid modes.
(II) UnloadModule: "ati"
(II) UnloadModule: "int10"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libint10.so
(II) UnloadModule: "vgahw"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libvgahw.so
(II) UnloadModule: "radeon"
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Here is the complete Xorg.0.log -
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddjtzn4_5dq2n9w

Here is my xorg.conf-
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddjtzn4_2pns85s