Visual tearing on external display on a laptop

Jake Briggs jakbri at coretech.co.nz
Tue Aug 5 16:41:43 PDT 2008

Just to update what happened to me here, on advice from a list member I
set DisplayPriority to "AUTO", rather than "HIGH", which seems to work
so far :D

I suppose the question now is what does DisplayPriority do?

Jake

Jake Briggs wrote:
> Hi All
>
> So I am having some issues with an external monitor (VGA-0) on a laptop.
> On the advice on someone from the #radeon irc channel, I tried to update
> the ati driver. I am running Ubuntu 8.04, the version of the ati module
> that ships with it is 6.8.0. The issue I was having - that the external
> monitor would not turn on - was solved by compiling and installing the
> ati driver version 6.9.0! Yay!
>
> But then I had some other issues. Basically there is some visual
> "tearing" I suppose, horizontal white lines that appear on the external
> monitor only, kinda like static kinda. This happens when moving windows
> around the desktop, and when playing video on the external monitor :(
>
> I have tried cloning the display, having it "left-of", haivng a smaller
> resolution etc.... It did it at first, then it didn't long enough to
> watch a movie, then upon reboot the next day the problem was back :( I
> just can't think where to go from here. All I can think of is that there
> is some buffer under run issue somewhere....
>
> Perhaps there is some incompatibility between the xserver and the
> version of the ati driver I am using? Perhaps ati 6.9.0 is still buggy?
> Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated!
>
> Jake
>
> -
> Jacob Briggs
> Systems Engineer
>
> Core Technology Limited
> Level 1, NZX Centre
> 11 Cable Street
> Wellington
> Phone +64 4 801 2252
>
> --
>
> Private Object doAnythingConceivable(String whatToDo, Object whatToDoItWith) { .....

Jacob Briggs
Systems Engineer

Core Technology Limited
Level 1, NZX Centre
11 Cable Street
Wellington
Phone +64 4 801 2252

--

Private Object doAnythingConceivable(String whatToDo, Object whatToDoItWith) { .....